Paging - Admin guide - English
Mar 21, 2018 18:41
This guide explains how to use paging on a Wildix system.
Created: March 2018
RTP multicast and SIP paging
Paging makes phones of users present in the selected Paging group answer automatically in speaker mode enabling the caller to talk to the users without their intervention. In this way you can quickly broadcast an urgent message or an important announcement to the group of listeners. Wildix system supports paging over RTP multicast and SIP calls:
Paging over RTP multicast means that PBX sends only one RTP stream to the multicast address on which devices are listening. This greatly reduces the workload placed on the PBX, especially when a large number of devices are involved
- Paging over SIP calls means that the PBX sends a single SIP call to each device of user who is present in the Paging group
The paging methor is selected automatically by the system, no special configuration is required - the PBX administrator must only create a Paging group, as described in Chatper Paging group. Paging over RTP is preferred (if possible based on network configuration and available devices), if it is not available, paging is sent via SIP calls.
Requirements and supported devices
- works only as long as the PBX and the devices are in the same network
- is supported by the following Wildix devices: W-PA, WP
Paging over SIP calls:
- limitation on the number of paging calls:
- New PBXs can receive 15 SIP paging calls + RTP multicast
- Pre 2010 PBXs can receive 6 SIP paging calls + RTP multicast
For Cloud / Virtual PBXs: limitation on the number of calls is based on CPU capabilities, if CPU MHz value is higher than 700, then 15 SIP calls are allowed. You can check CPU information via SSH using the command
- devices are called in the following priority (if there are 2 registered devices with the same priority, only 1 device will receive a call):
- Web (Chrome)
- Paging is not sent to FXS, Android, iOS in case it is the only device registered to a user
To start using Paging, first of all you need to create a Paging group:
- Go to WMS -> Dialplan -> Paging Groups
- Click + to add a new group
- Enter the name of the group
- Use search to select users/ double-click on users you want to add to the group
- Click Save
Now you can use Feature Code (91 by default) to call this Paging group and pick up a Paging call, more information in Feature Codes Admin Guide.
Or you can use Paging in a Dialplan context, more information in Dialplan applications Admin Guide.
Starting from WMS 3.86 calls are no longer interrupted by Paging / Intercom; a user who is already on the phone, receives Paging / Intercom calls as a normal second incoming call. This behavior can be changed via Dialplan Custom application. Check Dialplan applications Admin Guide for more information.